Thursday, February 28, 2008

Show and Tell Friday

Show and TellPlease feel free to check out the show and tell at Kellie's place. She has all the information in joining the fun!!

This week for Show and Tell I have a photo of the jelly I made today. I made it from berries that my brother Kenney and his wife and I picked this past summer. I had the berries in the freezer calling out for months to make jelly. I got the jars ready last night and started out cooking the berries this morning. I only used half of the berries and strained out the juice and guess what? I only had half the juice to make the jelly. Needless to say, I had to cook up the rest of the berries. It obviously took more time than what I had planned. I had to take a break for lunch and had a 2 hour doctors appointment. When I came back I put all the juice in a pot and put in the sure jell and started the heat under the pot. I looked at my supply of sugar and it was obvious that I needed much more than what I had. I searched every cupboard for sugar but all in vain. I had to go to the grocery store and get the sugar. My jelly was in the jars 6 1/2 hours after I first started this am. WHEW!! It better have turned out after all of that. The berries I used are called "moss berries". I'm not sure if they are only native to Alaska but I haven't seen them anyplace else. They are the small black berries that are pictured in my header. The jelly is soooooo delicious!!



Here is another doily that my mom made. It is so delicate and has tiny green beads crochet into the pattern.
Isn't it lovely!!

18 comments:

Rebecca said...

When you enjoy your delicious jelly, you'll be glad for your efforts!!

j said...

Moss Berries look like blueberries. Your mother's crocheting is lovely. You need to come see me. I have a picture up of my JoJo! Jennifer

cherished*vintage said...

Homemade jelly is so worth it! I'm going to check out what a moss berry is. Maybe we have them here in Washington... Your doily is beautiful - love the added beads.
-Karoline

Anonymous said...

I make fruit jellies every summer, blackberry is my favourite. Your wild berries look a little like what we know of as Whortleberries (though they have several names depending on where you are in the country). They grow on acidic soils, generally on higher ground.

I love your mother's beautiful work. I wish I could make something so intricate.

Susan said...

Yum....homemade jelly. That is on of the prettiest doilies I've ever seen. Love the beads added in.
Susan

Hootin Anni said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, homemade jellies!!! Wow...where do you get all your ambition I wonder?!! I'll have a spoonful please. Can't have enough taste testers you know.

The doily is gorgeous. I crochet, so this is especially nice to view. It's very pretty.

My S n T is shared. If you haven't dropped by, I sure hope you can stop and say "Howdy Do!".

Happy Weekend to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

The jelly looks yummy, and that doily is so beautiful.

Constance said...

I look forward toyour S & T's on Friday because I know there is going to be some beautiful doilies to see! I loved the one today! It's exquisite! All that work of r 4 jars? I remember one year in Nebraska when I had my huge garden I cooked down tomatoes forever, to make paste. I liked it but at the time you could buy it for 15 cents a can! That's the last time I made that! I actually thought your "header berries" were blueberries!
Connie

Greatfullivin said...

Your jelly looks great. You will appreciate all the effort every time you open a jar! The doily is awesome. Adding the beads while crocheting is a painstaking job. You are lucky to have your mothers handiwork! Thanks for sharing!

nannykim said...

I love the homemade stuff; but not the work! I wonder if those are the same as huckleberries?

Anonymous said...

Great work on the jellies! And that doily is gorgeous.

Abounding Treasures said...

Homemade jams and jellies are so much tastier than store-bought.

You're right about your wonderful collection of doilies.

This one your mom made is just lovely and so delicate looking.

Although I've crocheted afghans and the like, even thinking of tackling something with such fine thread and such a small hook just intimidates me :-(

Thanks for visiting and thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Mrs M

JEWELGIRL said...

Love the dollies! Homemade
jellies sound good, they always
taste fresher & better!

Cheryl said...

Heavens-to-Betsy that doily is a work of art! Lucky you! You jam looks yUmMy!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I'm glad to hear somebody still makes jam! I remember how good it was when my mother and grandmother made it!

The doily is beautiful, I love the way she adds beads on them.

Katherine

Kelli said...

Oh my goodness, the doily is so delicate and pretty! The tiny beads are amazing.
I wish I could try your yummy jam! :0)
Hugs,
Kelli

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

Thank you for the treat! I was secretly wishing for some when I saw the pic on your blog. I am one happy lady now!

Connie Marie said...

Get well soon Jo! Sorry to hear you are not well. My sister Kotya is still in town and goes to see Millie everyday. She was also down with some kind of a cold for the last three days. Drink lots of water, get lots of sleep... and hurry back!