Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Going back home to King Cove for Mother's Day

Here is some scenery that I saw on my trip from Anchorage to Cold Bay. My neice and her son on the airplane.













Here we are landing in Sand Point, the weather was pretty sloppy with wind and rain. The runway has water on 3 sides of it and isn't very long.
















I left for King Cove on Friday evening.

I went with my sister Shirlee and her daughter Shellee and her 2 year old son Colin. (he just turned 2 in March) Here is a map of Alaska and you can see where King Cove is, it is at the end of the Alaska Peninsula. (the peninsula that juts out toward Japan) King Cove is where I was born and raised, my parents live there from April through August each year. http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/GEOGRAPHY/Alaska.html


I was there the last time 5 years ago for my parent's 50 wedding anniversary. Travel there is very expensive and the only way there is by airplane or by boat which takes 3-4 days from where I now live in Kenai. The airplane we traveled in carries about 20 passengers, our flight had about 10 passengers. We had to stop in a community called Sand Point before we landed in Cold Bay where my sister Lillian lives with her 4 children.

No comments: