Monday, March 23, 2009

Mt Redoubt























I heard that Mt Redoubt erupted last night. Actually, I heard it from my daughter, Julie who lives in the Seattle area. She woke us up early this am with a phone call letting us know. :) I had to run to the window to see if I could see any ash on the freshly fallen snow. There wasn't any ash to be seen, so we escaped the ash fall in the Anchorage area for the time being. Hopefully, the mountain will settle down so we don't have to worry about it spreading ash everywhere. My hubby and I saw Mt Redoubt on Friday evening as we were driving up from Soldotna and saw a plume of steam coming from it. The mountain actually looked very small on the horizon but certainly spectacular. Our son, Jordan flew across the inlet with a friend on Friday to climb a mountain quite a few miles from Redoubt. They got back on Saturday, thankfully, just before a major snow storm that flew in. We got somewhere between 6-9 inches on new snow. OH MY, what a way to start the first day of spring!

2 comments:

Constance said...

It's k9ind of hard to fathom having an active volcano nearby! I remember when we lived in So Colorado, there's an extinct volcano, Capulin, in Northern New Mexico. I took the kids and we had a picnic lunch and hiked down into the crater and along the rim. It was pretty cool!

Springtime in Texas means severe weather. there were tornado warnings about 40 miles north of us last night.

Sigh, I gotta get my emergency kit together, sneakers and raincoat handy to make a dash for the storm shelter!

Connie

mrsjojo said...

Take care Connie, I hope and pray that you will be safe. I've never been in a tornado and never want to be near one.
I was in Heber Springs, Arkansas a number of years ago with my family and found out that the whole town was destroyed by a tornado a number of years before. There seemed to be no evidence of a tornado. It looked like they had rebuilt very well.
Lots of extreme weather happening in our country today. The volcano is not weather but it is affecting our lives up here in Alaska like extreme weather.