Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mexican Food Night

This is the end result of a LOT of work! I got this craving for Mexican food late in the afternoon and proceeded to go ahead with the idea. It didn't take me long to figure out that I would need help. I asked Jim to help and he agreed to it. I think he knew that dinner would be at midnight if he didn't pitch in. :) Any ways his help was greatly appreciated even if he goofed off pretending that we could be doing a reality cooking show! :) So, we ended up with Spanish rice, chili rellenos and beef fajitas! I made homemade tortillas and guacamole. The cilantro was a super addition to the flavors. We were both delighted with the outcome of this meal.
Guacamole, not my usual recipe but it turned out pretty tasty.
The whipped egg yolks with flour all ready to mix in with the egg whites for the chili rellenos. I used pablano chilis and I will definitely use them again--they had fabulous flavor.
The egg whites turned out so fluffy!

2 comments:

Constance said...

Our son-in-law is Mexican and so we have the added bonus of great Mexican dishes when we get together. His mother makes the most incredible tamales I have ever had!

Chiles Rellenos is my FAVORITE dish of all! The local Mexican restaurant (Tia Carito's) that we go to, has the best I have ever eaten! I haven't ordered anything else off the menu because they are SO goo. They are the standard by which all other Chiles Rellenos are measured! Ha Ha!

Seriously, I could eat Mexican 7 days a week and luckily, living in Texas, the opportunities are endless!
Connie

mrsjojo said...

I'm on my way down to visit you!!! :)
You are so blessed to have Mexicans in your family who love to cook. I would LOVE to try your Tia Caritos chiles rellenos!! And I would love to try the tamales made by your daughter's mother in law!! I have never tried to make tamales but would like to learn how.
I'm with you on eating Mexican food 7 days a week. I have a sister who makes a fabulous Mexican feasts!