Friday, January 30, 2009

Volcano

When I flew down to King Cove this past summer, I took this photo of a volcano. I'm not positive on what volcano this is, it is one of the numerous and beautiful volcanoes here in Alaska.

Here is an excerpt from the Alaska Volcano Observatory web page. As you can tell, they posted this message sometime around 2:30 this afternoon. We live close to the volcano and it depends on the wind path as to if we experience ash fall or not. When Mt Redoubt erupted in 1986, the wind pattern brought the ash onto us in Kenai. It was pretty scary seeing the ash fall down like snow. I have to say that I'm not prepared for an ash fall. We need to get the masks yet. I went to buy them yesterday but the store that I went to was out of them.

2009-01-30 14:35:54
Intense seismicity continues at Redoubt this afternoon. Clear webcam views, satellite, and radar data from earlier today indicate that the volcano has not yet erupted.




5 comments:

Connie Marie said...

You can always tie a bandana around your nose and mouth, or a cloth diaper if worse comes to worse.

Hopefully if Mt Redoubt does blow - the ash will blow out to sea.

Connie Marie said...

Oh, forgot to say, beautiful picture of the volcano!

mrsjojo said...

While looking for masks to buy, I found a package of very cute dish towels which I bought to use if it came down to the worse case scenario. But, in all actuality I think I bought them mostly because they were cute. I already have other things to use-but all out of the diapers. :) I think I would use a rag anyways, just because, (have you ever used those masks?) they are annoying and never seem to stay closed above the nose.
Well, I hope things settle down real soon.

Constance said...

It seems surreal to me thinking of a volcano erupting. That happens in the movies and not to people I "know". Stay safe and I'll say a prayer for all of you. Connie is right, that's a really nice picture!
Connie

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

I'm really hoping we can avoid this but if it is gonna happen, I'd rather it be in winter - when we are more or less cooped up already - than in spring or summer.