Monday, August 25, 2008

(16) Adventure to King Cove, Alaska




On August 9th I headed off to King Cove. The trip was beautiful with views of numerous mountains including volcanoes. You can check out Alaskan volcanoes at this very informative site:http://www.avo.alaska.edu/ . King Cove is located at the end of the Alaska Peninsula, it is also where I was born and raised. As you can see, travel to King Cove is by small aircraft. The one from Anchorage to Cold Bay is called a Saab and carries about 20 people. The flight takes about 2 1/2 hours.
I couldn't help but remember what Psalms 121: 1-2 says, "I will lift my eyes to the mountains, from where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Those mountains are so majestic and beautiful. My goodness, if God has the power to form these - He certainly has the power to help us in our every day lives!

2 comments:

Constance said...

That first picture just got me!!! WOW! Isn't our God an awesome God? He can create something so rugged and majestic and in the next create something as fragile and fascinating as a spider's web? The verse form Psalms is one of my favorites!

Thanks for visiting and commenting about the Beth Moore conference. It was an incredible blessing to me! Our church participated in the simulcast of Feb 2007 I believe. Is that the same one you watched? I remember at the time being impressed by the different churches represented from everywhere! I remember Alaska being one of them!

Hugs,
Connie

Constance said...

I just finished looking through your trip and I have to say,
WOW!

That plane ride was a bit too scary if you ask me! It reminded me of an object lesson that God gave me 6 years ago. It was during a trying time, our 19 year old daughter at the time, had just moved back home, pregnant by an abusive boyfriend, in debt and had had her car repossessed. She was our prodigal, returned home and I was having a lot of conflict over, a new grandchild and how adoption vs being a single mom, was going to affect not only her but all of us.

I flew from Dallas to Colorado for a weekend get away, meeting up with Dave who was already there for work. As we left Dallas with its thunderstorms and darkness, my soul was heavy. However (since it was a commercial flight) there was a time when we broke through the storms and darkness and into sunshine and light. The sun (Son) was there all the time! Anyway...

I have never tried salmonberries! They look scrumptious! While we were in Canada we went wild blueberry picking and our youngest grand-daughter had a BLAST! Of course, we were on bear alert the whole time so I could understand why you wouldn't have wanted to land where the bears were so abundant!

We are heading to Yellowstone and Glacier next Friday for a 2 week trip and the bears and other wildlife should be out in great numbers. I am SO NOT even ready for this trip yet!

Connie