Friday, July 17, 2009

Basket weaving


Here are a couple of photos of my first attempts at basket weaving. I attended the Aleut Culture Camp and learned the Attu style of basket weaving. This basket is tiny and it is tedious work. I have come to a great appreciation of my ancestors workmanship at this skill. It is amazing, the work that they had done, especially the weaving of mats-totally unbelievable. I started this basket a week ago and haven't had much time to work on it.
I had been busy with teaching a 2nd grade boys class at Vacation Bible School. There was an average of 700 kids each night in attendance! It was a sight to behold with high volume and activity levels!!! I had a class of 12 boys and it was such a great experience. I had 3 EXCELLENT helpers!!! I think the boys had a lot of fun. I must say that just before the VBS started I got a little scared, wondering what I was going to do with a bunch of 2nd grade boys but we all had a great time. The secret is being prepared with non stop activity. A lot of prayer went into it also, which I believe was the most important aspect of the successfulness of the week. I thank the Lord for blessing me with the helpers, students, and results.

3 comments:

Connie Marie said...

Your basket looks great Jo! Good job. Glad you had fun with the second grade boys, I can imagine that you probably really enjoyed it.

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

700 kids?! My goodness! That is a lot! I love that you are getting in touch with your roots. That looks like way tedious work but how cool that you were able to learn how to do it and appreciate it so much more because of it. I think I understand now why those little baskets are so expensive in the gift shops!

Constance said...

I believe Connie Marie has posted pictures of basket weaving before hasn't she? It looks tedious but VERY rewarding!

I remember those days of teaching VBS! WOW, that's an impressive number of kids being exposed to Jesus! If just one is changed, it is all worth it!
Connie